Your Chance to Win!
Ex-Flappy here. Now that I get to log on under my own name, I don’t get italicized. Though I know Peter loves italicizing. And adding smart quotes and em-dashes.
Anyway, status is good. I went on a mammoth walk yesterday, up and down the Santa Cruz harbor, through the gulch, and up to my dad’s house, with a stop on the way for a berry malt at the Foster’s Freeze. I’m not feeling any ill effects today, surprisingly. I’m also nearly weaned off the Vicodin, which I know some people would think is silly and a waste—but honestly, Vicodin isn’t any fun when you actually need it. Damn natural opioids.
So now that my stamina is improved, I have time to fixate on the smaller things: like how all the skin on my torso is flaking off. I guess they swabbed me very heavily in the OR. Also, how I have this gross knobby scab at the bottom of my incision, and it was growing out all curly-wurly, like a pig’s tail. As a copy editor, I thought of it as a comma, until I chipped off the pointy part. The nurse said it was generated by the knot at the bottom of my dissolving stitches—excuse me, sutures.
Other small details: the hospital bills are starting to arrive!
Here’s where the fun starts: Guess just how much my 12-page bill from UCSF comes to. The closest answer (over or under—this isn’t The Price Is Right) and you win...uh, a big bag of saline syringes...or perhaps a home blood lab in a box? I’ll think of something good. Medical professionals may enter, but may be disqualified—this is really an educational effort for those who may be health-care “naive,” as they say in the biz. [Ed note: Peter here. I posted about the 12-page bill a few days ago. It somehow disappeared… blogspot ain’t perfect. A damn good post, too, if I do say so myself. It included the bottom line and a few highlights. If you saw the post and know the answer, you’re obviously disqualified, too!]
Some specs, to help you in your estimating: total hospital stay was 8 nights, with 4 of those nights in intensive cardiac care, and 4 nights in a private regular room. Operating room costs are included, but I don’t think the surgeon’s bill is. To give you an idea of the facilities, see my hospital review on Roving Gastronome.
Hint: It cost way more than 8 days at the Waldorf-Astoria, that’s for sure.
15 Comments:
I’d like to start to start the bidding off at $1,000!
[crowd groans in response to an obviously too-low big]
Crowd? What crowd? I thought this wasn’t The Price is Right. And what do you mean I’m disqualified, anyway? I want to spin the big wheel! Showcase Showdown, baby. That’s what it’s all about! A new CAR!!!
I'm going with $90,000.01.
-Nicole
Okay...If I win, I want the syringes.(fill with water and aim at the kitty cat) Just remember to write something else on the customs forms. $198,357.92
When will the winner be announced???
P.S. Add $578.16 for the 10 minutes spent looking at the million dollar view out the solarium window...
jonana
I would guess $132,000. Now I think the extra Vicodin would certainly be an appropriate prize.
Now let's just say it was exactly $132,000 and zero cents. Now who would get the prize? Imagine the chaos as everybody says, "Oh, yeah, I'm anonymous! Really." Sure, we might give a saline syringe as a consolation prize, no questions asked. But Vicodin? No, Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous, you'll have to do better than that.
Susan bids $200,000.
How 'bout I throw in my extra "motivational spirometer"--the deep-breathing thingy that looks like a bong?
after careful consideration, I say the 12 page hospital bill totals 179,346.87
please alert me before you send out my prize so i can be present to accept it. thank you.
ok. I think its alot cause medical bills are more than what's mentioned on ER or Gray's Anatomy.... drumroll please...$243,679.00 katie T
i guess that's why they don't do open-hearts at the waldorf astoria!!
my guess [uneducated and sober] is $275,000. if it's too high, then it means that i care about you more than they do. if it's too low, maybe i should drink more before 10AM
love joel
Ok, I'm gonna go high. $325,000.
Jen
First of all, why is Tamara guessing when there is a picture of her popping her eyes out at the total? Como se dice en Ingles "trapacista"?
But just in case this isn't rigged... I guess $201,968.54. I promise to donate my extra vicodin to the 9th graders at Paul Robeson HS in Crown Heights, who need it more than I do...
$228,666.01
Even though opiates make me hurl, i just LOVE a contest. 8 days with all those nurses and drips and machines? I'm thinking $308,908.34.
can't wait to see you...
xoxo,
AS
Tamara's eyes were allowed to pop-out only after she had placed her bid. As the official overseer, I assure you everything was on the straight and level (including Karl's prememptive disqualification).
Post a Comment
<< Home