I don’t heart Santa Cruz
It’s interesting that Zora is in Santa Cruz. I don’t like Santa Cruz. In fact, in all my travels in the whole wide world, there’s only one place that’s ever bothered me enough to write bad things about it. I wrote this, to no one in particular, around 1996 after spending 2 or 3 days in Santa Cruz.
I just hope Zora gets out before it’s too late. But I fear. I fear.
The Body Snatchers Invade California
Aliens have taken over Santa Cruz
Some people suspect there might be a few aliens living among us. Given all the billions of “people” in the world, wouldn’t it be surprising if there weren’t any aliens? And a few aliens can surely add to the rich cultural diversity of a neighborhood: a new-age store here, a health-food grocery co-op there.
Now aliens aren’t bad people. But there aren’t a whole lot in most big cities and small towns. And where there are many—in places like Madison, Wisconsin, or Austin, Texas—they tend to be good neighbors: low crime rate, active in volunteer associations, politically liberal, and they desperately want to get along with the rest of us. But it’s a plot. And it’s too late for Santa Cruz. Santa Cruz has fallen.
Santa Cruz appears to be a little utopia. As the “people” who live there are quick to tell you. In some ways it was everything: ocean, beach, water, mountains, nature, a downtown, bike paths, public transportation. There is even a choice in movie theaters and you can buy the New York Times.
To get to Santa Cruz, you have to cross a small mountain range from San Jose, South of San Francisco, California. For two days in February, I went “over the hill.” Alien are everywhere. But even in Santa Cruz there are a few real humans left—the crazy man begging for beer money must be human; so is the punk with his dog, guitar, and natty girl-friend—most are homeless on the street. The earthquake a few years back gave human employment a boost. Humans seem willing to take jobs—construction, garbage pick-up—that aliens don’t want.
Signs of the aliens are everywhere: the streets are garbage free, there is no graffiti, the people are clean, healthy, too healthy, too skinny, too white.
I walk into a store and a pleasant kid with a well-scrubbed face greets me. A little head tilt and the face piercing gleam seductively. “How are you today,” she asks slowly, caringly. Does she care? How much are they paying her? Maybe she does. She is cute. I wonder how old she is? Why is she staring at me? “Uh, fine. Thanks,” I say, trying to play it cool.
Her eyes haven’t moved, haven’t blinked. “If you need anything, or have any questions, just let me know. O.K.?” I pause, unsure. She looks so inviting. I’m sweating. I imagine when under stress, she gently exudes lavender essence.
Her eyes haven’t moved. It’s not easy, but I look down. That was close. I browse quickly, upset there’s no one else in the store. I don’t even know what they sell; I don’t care. It’s too obvious I’m not one of them. The cute girl pretends to ignore me, humming a seductive lullaby.
I leave, a bit too quickly, and stumble into the street. A few well-placed cars glide to a safe stop and wait. I’m not far from the cross-walk. I cut a diagonal, making things worse.
I’m on the sidewalk and the sun is bright. Why don’t I have my sunglasses? People look at me and smile as I pass. Why are they smiling? Why do they always make eye-contact? Flyers on the designated posting area advertise new-age therapy, massage, used furniture, music lessons, neutered animals. Good things all. Someone asks me for change.
Then I see the Bud Lite sign. Why didn’t I see it before? Aliens don’t drink Bud Lite. I run in, past the kids lawfully smoking outside. The beer sign buzzes a bit too loudly. It’s a greasy pizza joint. Why aren’t there more of them? I feel safe. I get a burger, fries, and a beer, then two. It goes down well. I sit far from the window.
There are mostly humans here. Aliens don’t eat deep-fried; they don’t eat flesh; they don’t drink beer. These are real people here! But they don’t see the danger. They’ve been here too long. I think of telling them. But I notice the crazy man talking to himself, or the ketchup. I don’t want to end up like him.
At night I return to my friend’s place. Oil lamps are lit and we eat vegetarian Szechuan food with chopsticks (no MSG, of course). Mineral water from the bottle. It’s time to go to bed and I can’t refuse. We’ve slept together before. But never in Santa Cruz.
It’s like “Invasion of the Body Snatchers.” I crawl into her comfy little loft and she gently touches me. It feels wonderful. Of course it does. I face the other way. Rain is falling outside. I don’t sleep. It is warm in bed. I don’t dare fall asleep.
In the morning I’m tired and drink coffee. Good coffee. Brown sugar “in the raw.” There are muffins of grains. Many, many grains. The weather is pleasant and un-noteworthy. So is the conversation. I taste nothing.
During the day, I am briefly left alone. I head for the highway, for “the hill.” It can’t be far. Cars zoom around me and I start running. Faster, running tired, very very tired.
8 Comments:
Dude, chill. Santa Cruz is a perfectly nice place. I'm about to eat a tuna sandwich made with yogurt, and I'll probably like it.
But don't worry, I'm still equivocating. Yesterday I heard a hot surfer chick tell her strapping, barking dog to "simmer."
ok, I was profoundly uncomfortable there too, except for the fact that I saw the long john silver guy doing the redi whip whippets UP HIS NOSE in the Shopper's Corner. That beats the hell out of the Trade Scare any day of the week. Although, if I am fair about it, there was no one at the Corner to ask about Hamas and the ramifications for Abbas' leadership.....
Funny, of all the things that bothered me about Santa Cruz, I don't think hot surfer chicks made that list.
B and I continued the discussion of the merits of Santa Cruz this morning. Now, just like I got new respect for San Francisco, I am liking Santa Cruz quite a bit these days.
But I think the essential alienating thing here (and in San Francisco) may be the homogeneity--willful homogeneity, in that many people move here to be with their own kind. And to enjoy the weather.
Which maybe is why people move anywhere (especially out of tiny Iowa towns to cities where there are gay/artistic/Goth/etc. communities), but I think the fringe benefit of living in a huge city where the weather is crappy is that you're living with people very unlike you, and that makes your day that much more interesting.
Also, I have almost zero interest in hiking, or being close to places to hike, at least. And I know Peter cares even less than I do.
On second thought, maybe it's just the generally high fitness level that's off-putting?
What really bothers me is the willful homogeneity among white liberals who profess a love of diversity, but only because “diversity” is a liberal cause. Diversity is more than adding transgendered when you talk about the gay and lesbian community.
Santa Cruz in an insolated community of similarly-minded white people. No blacks. (OK, Santa Cruz is 1% African American… like I was sayin’…)
And there’s something about the absence of blacks that, along with being freaky for a community that makes pains to be non-racist, retards any local culture. Without blacks, white folk get soft. And then we produce bad art, talk about peoples’ "energy," and make far too much eye contact.
Look, Mr. Chicago-centric, there aren't any black people (again, 1%-ish) in New Mexico, but I wouldn't call that a homogeneous society. But there is some bad art...
I think the main reason I was spooked by Santa Cruz on my first visit was that I was coming from Cairo. Hell, even New York seemed empty, all white, and too rich for its own good after Cairo.
New Mexico is 2% black. Not a lot. But still twice as much as Santa Cruz. And you don’t need blacks to be diverse. Take, say, Astoria. But you do need rich white liberals who preach diversity and practice segregation to produce bad art.
Post a Comment
<< Home