Comments and an offer
Some of you may have wanted to leave comments but were intimidated by having to register. Alas, I didn’t know the settings were set that way. They are now changed and now anybody can post. All you have to do is type in the weird letters you see (because yes, even, blog comments get spam).
Zora hasn’t seen any of the comments yet, but when she gets out of the hospital I’m sure she will be happy to go through them all.
Speaking of getting out, Emily, Jim’s sister, just called and offered her place. Then she would stay here with Jim and Daphne on their aerobed. That offer is very very kind of her.
Unfortunately, she has a cat. But she just moved in (last week) and has yet to lay down any fabric. So I think it may still be possible to decontaminate the place enough for me to survive.
She lives there alone and the bed is large and comfortable. It seems like the best choice yet. I'll talk to Zora.
8 Comments:
Hooray for the plans for leaving, Zora! Even as competent and kind a hospital as UCSF, get out of there. On your way out, you should go into the medical school library and sit in one of the comfortable chairs by the window, and be healed by the view. Also for healing I recommend going to the health food store, (or being that it's San Francisco, you can probably even get this at the local bodega) and buy homeopathic arnica. It is my favorite homeopathic remedy, very good for healing bruises, muscle aches, post-op, anything where capillaries have to reknit themselves together. Hickies too. I have been thinking of you here in Brooklyn, so glad for good news.
Hello again and please give Beverly and Patrick and Caryn (whose name I probably misspelled) big hugs!
The doctors may be getting some heat from the insurance co. about the quick discharge. Having personally gone this route myself, I would suggest that you sternly remind the case worker or case manager, if you're unable to speak directly with the physicians, about the history of Zora's case and just how many hospital experiences she has had within such a short time period and that she really does need to be able to rest a few more days and gather her strength and that she has experienced serious infection(s) and that you absolutely do not want her to have another infection because of an early discharge.
She's been through so much and has been such a trooper through it all that she deserves to the opportunity to rest there to make sure that she's very stable and well enough to continue to heal in a few days. Remind them that you are not from California and that you need to find a place to stay for awhile where she can be comfortable and can rest and that this has not happened, yet but that you are working on it.
Just a thought for your consideration.
When it comes to discharge, it's just like surgery in that she really needs strong stern advocacy.
Blah Blah.
In spite of the lecture here, Sending love and healing thoughts.
Barbara
Phot,
Thanks for easier commenting. Though ti should be noted that I was intimidated, not by the difficulty of registering, but the embarassment of being told jonrosenfeld already had a password and that he couldn't remember it.
I'm with Patty jean on CA vs NY. You're right about the right decision sometimes not working out as planned -- and she's right about your frequent references to how better it is in CA. The private room, for starters.
Successful surgery, speedier than planned ability to leave, and Zora's snoring (and cheesecake leg shots) are all music to my ears. But is it speedy ability to leave or speedy desire to cut off insured hospital care?
On your pain / anesthetic choice: I went to a dutch dentist for the first time ever. Old fillings need to be replaced -- though he assured my it was through no fault of mine. He says, "Usually for a Dutch person, I would not use Anesthetic. But you are American, so I bet you want novicaine...." (A) Yes, yes I do. Two shots, please. (B) Well, I guess you Dutch people are crazy in that you like pain instead of no pain. (C) Being numb is unpleasant. Dentist assured me that a real Dutchman can "have his arm sliced a few times and he will not complain." Phot, welcome to being Dutch.
He also recommended, by the way, that I not make Dentist jokes in the show. "You know, people hear 'dentist' and then they are thinking about being at the dentist and then they are not in the laughing mood."
Much love to you and Zora from Tamara and me.
dinner last night with KT, Siobhan, Mari, and deb at the queen's hidaway with lovely support from Tamara. we drank a toast to you both. lots of love from brooklyn, well...north brooklyn... ok, southern astoria!
My authoritative sister-in-law (a doctor at a hospital back east) says that hospitals are good places to get out of. No matter how much you like the nurses and bed, infections run rampant. There's lots of sick people there.
-- Alan
so glad recovery is going well. all well in the apartment guys. Karine did the watering and turning off things. though do not like going there w/out you all. I think a tear dropped on the lonely cribbage board. hey- need an address out there to send some goodies ( did someone say pizzelles?) love you guys. xo kt
What an interactive blog this has been for me. Thank you, Peter, for keeping us informed.
By interactive, I mean that I wept with relief and joy to know that Zora is on the mend and I threw up after viewing the bloody pinky.
Cyber hugs to Beverly, Patrick, Karin, too. So good that they are there.
Zora...you are in my thoughts and prayers. I am doing all the healing ooga booga stuff I know and sending it your way.
I love you so much!
Jonana
P.S. What are "Pinky and Flappy" going to do for their next big adventure?
Pioter--
I know you have PLENTY to think about, but add this little thing: Karine and/or I have buddy passes and can come to to help out next week (wherever you end up) if you want/need. We just need about 3-4 days notice. Let me know when you figure it out. we would love to help out. Plus.... I can cook.
Post a Comment
<< Home