Friday, January 27, 2006

8 steps forward, 1 step back

I watched “Looking for Comedy in the Muslim World” tonight. I thought it sucked. But it does have a lot to do with humor that isn’t understood. It made me wonder why I made an obscure reference in the last post comparing Karine to Sandy Koufax, former great pitcher for the L.A. Dodgers.

Even as I was writing it I knew that nobody would get it. But it was so clever I couldn’t resist. The line was about rabbis loving Karine for taking the holy days off. But you have to know that Karine is teaching at a Jewish school... and a baseball fan... and doesn't look Jewish... and that the old rabbis love having the blond shiksa on their arm... and she doesn’t work Yom Kippur.... brilliant, I tell you, brilliant.

Ah well, Karine and I are the only people I know who would possibly have a knowledge of her; her job; and Sandy Koufax. And just between you and me, I don’t even think Karine got it.

But let me tell you, if you were a Jewish baseball fan around in the 1960s who knew Karine today, you’d still be laughing. And just for the record, I’d understand any reference comparing me to Hank Greenberg. Beyond that, you’ve got to use google.

Anyway, it seems the relief pitchers had a little trouble getting out of the seventh inning. I don’t have an update from the field yet. I think we got the third out. I know we still have the lead. But I’m pretty sure the bad guys scored a run or two. I guess I went to the locker room to take a shower.

Zora was a little worse today. She walked a lot yesterday. And she thinks the uphill part did some harm. I don’t think anything too bad. But it was a minor step back. What can you do? I hoping that in a few months we won’t even remember this step back. Certainly her chest is still fragile. She’s not supposed to lift anything over 10 pounds for something like 6 weeks. And walking uphill is very different than walking on level ground. And well, she’s on the top of a hill. So if you walk too far in any direction, it’s uphill on the way back.

Tomorrow in the afternoon, Zora is off to Santa Cruz. Jim offered his car for the journey. Tamara said something to effect of, “Hey, an Audi. Cool! I’ve thrown-up in an Audi!” Jim wasn’t too happy. But Zora told me that Jim has been on the giving end of that game far more than the receiving end. Still, last I heard, Tamara wasn't out eating too much sherbet tonight. So I don’t think this dialogue will happen:

Tamara: Zora, take the wheel. Now. Really!
[Zora, groining with pain, takes the wheel just as Tamara opens the driver’s side door]
bleeeeeeegh
Zora: You OK?
Tamara [closing door]: Yeah, fine. Back in the game. We over The Hill yet?

Drive safely. Zora is in no position to wear a seat belt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home